Implementing changes in the sales department. Part 8/12. Stage VI – Determining the employee’s competence profile.
Employees of customer service and sales should be people who understand customers from the emotional side and be able to reach their shopping motivations. In addition, they should have a key feature which is the ability to be entrepreneurial when working with clients. This is due to the complexity of the tasks performed and many factors affecting the sales result. Optimal use of all commercial opportunities (e.g. speed of order processing, selection of appropriate transport, quick establishment of internal production plans, organization of meetings with clients) allows for better economic results. This means that the priority is to instill in employees an economical approach to sales and customer service – “work as if it was your company!”.
It is therefore crucial to create an appropriate organizational culture in the entire department, which would be transferred to employees of other departments during their daily relations. This culture is also to be a showcase for customers who quickly understand its features:
- Flexibility for customer needs,
- Quick response to customer inquiries,
- Precise answers,
- Openness to new projects and challenges.
The above list is a manifestation of the implemented organizational culture noticed by customers. From an internal point of view, sought candidates and current employees should have the following competences:
- Self-discipline – the ability to perform tasks on time and in good quality without the need for continuous managerial supervision,
- Readiness to achieve goals within the team – the ability to cooperate with team members regardless of their role,
- Openness to new ideas,
- Regularity and good organization of own work.
The above-mentioned features are the foundation of the employee’s competency model from the interpersonal side.