The team’s work efficiency is influenced by many factors that can strengthen or weaken employees’ attitudes. At the same time, one should not be limited to motivation theories and the tools created on their basis. The managerial task is to eliminate negative factors that reduce employee motivation. From a strategic point of view, i.e. the goal of strengthening the positive attitudes of employees, it is necessary to quickly implement changes.
Common factors that have a negative impact on employee attitudes can be:
- Disordered pay grid (too wide pay gap in similar positions).
- Unclear organizational structure (no division of tasks and responsibilities) and thus chaos and frequent conflicts.
- Unaesthetic appearance of the rooms constituting the workplace.
- Lack of appropriate work tools (too few devices, frequent failures).
- Wrong location of the workplace.
- Task overload due to staff shortages and / or poor work organization.
- Lack of bonus system for achieved goals and above average results.
The fastest possible action to implement is to improve social working conditions. Symptoms of poor social conditions can be (examples):
- Damaged walls,
- Old furniture,
- Frequent failure of printers,
- Dirty armchairs at desks,
- Poor distribution of the work space, which does not emphasize the managerial functions of some people and introduces confusion for clients,
- Difficult working conditions during the summer – no air conditioning of the rooms,
- Lack of a coffee maker and fridge in the kitchen for storing meals.
Few managers pay no attention to this area of work, but from the point of view of the quality of work and team motivation it is crucial.